The Best Medicine : The Varied Health Benefits of Laughter
Laughing has to be one of the most underrated activities ever! You know the laughing sessions you have with your friends or family; the ones where you are laughing so hard your tummy hurts, eyes water and you feel utterly happy and exhausted after? Guffawing well does so much more then just make you enjoy the moment and create memories. Like the old cliché goes it can be one of the best cures to many issues and is surprisingly good for your health.
A big old belly laugh is one of the nicest feelings in the world. And even sharing a small smile or giggle with a stranger does wonders to break the ice. If you think that sharing a risqué joke with your friends, playing around with your kids or spending time looking through funny pictures and videos of puppies that you like are just recreational pleasures, you will be happy to know that studies have found that it can do a lot more. Let’s take a look at some of the great benefits laughter has on your health and overall well-being –
- It is a fabulous stress buster – Laughing at something doesn’t just provide you with a few minutes of mirthful respite. In fact it helps reduce the levels of stress hormones in the body and at the same time gives relief from anxiety. It was found that a really good laughing session can keep your muscles relaxed for nearly 45 minutes after as well, helping immensely in relieving physical tension too. No only that, it also release endorphins which perk up your mood and ease pain, making you feel good all over. Stress has been linked to a number of health problems and even skin issues. When trying to keep your health in check or looking for remedies like psoriasis treatment natural, make sure you get a good laugh in every day.
- It builds your immunity – Along with reducing stress hormones in your body, laughter also increases the immune cells, which aid in helping your body resist diseases and help it fight infections. Pretty amazing!
- It helps with heart health – Your cardiac health can also benefit from a little humour and mirth. Laughing gets your heart pumping , improves the function of blood vessels and aids in improving the flow of oxygen to your heart; thus helping with your cardiac health and aiding in keeping many cardiovascular problems at bay and preventing heart disease.
- It burns calories – Although it may not replace a major workout session, laughing does burn a decent amount of calories and in such a fun way at that! The fact that it gets your heart pumping, makes it a fun addition to a cardio workout regime. Ever had such a hard laugh that your tummy hurts? Well, laughing engages the ab muscles effectively, making them contract and expand, much like they would with a specific abdominal exercise, toning your tummy in the process.
- It helps with your emotional health – Apart from helping you deal with stress, laughter also dissipates feelings of negativity and helps you stay more positive. It increases energy and helps you focus better, making it easier to deal with less than relaxed situations. Humour can also strengthen relationships by building social and emotional bonds by creating an emotional connection with another person and can unite you in a difficult time. Humour and laughter also allows you a little respite from a difficult or stressful situation, helping you take a step back and gain a little perspective. Good for you all around!
So, apart from the joy it gives you, you now have multiple amazing reasons to crack that joke, take a laughter yoga class, watch a funny sitcom and more.
Maya Den is a life coach and author of a self-help book. She firmly believes that when it comes to disease control like psoriasis treatment, natural remedies, heart health and more, your mental health is a key factor. She loves to garden and says it is her best stress buster.